Sunday, March 28, 2010

''undocumented'' (maybe) feature in PRE7

What are the ''sequence in/out'' markers and what are they used for? I ran across them when editing the other day. I only know what they are called by moving them and going to the history window and seeing what they are called. I cannot find them documented in any place, online documentation, the book that came with the program, or Steve's Moviepix book. They are located at the very top of the timeline and look like vertical lines with little ''bumps'' in the middle. When these in and out markers are separated, it is indicated with a gray bar with a handle in the middle, similar to the work area bar. I have found that if these markers are both positioned beyond the end of your clips in the timeline, and you select and delete (at least) the last clip, that you get an internal error (something to do with the monitor panel) whenever you attempt to preview the timeline (press space bar, for instance). Undoing the clip deletion and moving both these ''sequence'' markers back (at least) to the beginning of the time line will fix this internal error from happening when you delete (at least) the last clip and preview the timeline. This error was very frustrating (and caused me bitter disappointment in PRE7) until I discovered this ''fix''. Anybody else seen this or similar problem?
''undocumented'' (maybe) feature in PRE7
This is apparently an ''undocumented'' feature, probably a remnant of the shared code with Premiere Pro/CS.



Here's Robert's explanation.


Robert J. Johnston, ''Need HELP figuring out what is on my timeline that I can not get rid of.'' #10, 9 Oct 2008 11:01 pm
''undocumented'' (maybe) feature in PRE7
Charles,



IIRC, these are actually a vestige from Premiere Pro, which allows multiple Sequences and several other true ''features.'' In PE, they do nothing, except appear and confuse people. It seems that they are invoked by pressing the ''I'' and the ''O'' (that's an ''oh'' key).



There is an article on www.muvipix.com on these. Again, from memory, Chuck Engles got the word down from Adobe product management. If I can find the exact article, I'll post the link.

[Edit] Here is that link:

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38%26amp;t=4349



There is at least one post in this forum on these, especially the grey bar. I do not recall if anyone knew the answer then.



Hunt

Charles,



I see that Steve is quicker on the draw, than am I. Now, you have two links to articles on that little rascal.



Hunt

Bill, you say that they do nothing, but I hope you found that they do do something. All the keyboard sortcuts for the in/out markers work, so you can play back the timeline, for instance, from the in to out markers. You can see the possibilities by looking at the keyboard customization list where in/out is mentioned.

Thanks Steve and Bill for the explanation and the links to the articles. I did see the error I mentioned when these in/out points were visible and beyond the right of all my clips in the timeline. It was repeatable using history (undo/redo), so it is not quite accurate that they do nothing in PE. They can cause internal harm to the program.

Robert,



That was just my faulty memory and I don't mean RAM.



Thanks for the correction,



Hunt
  • jabbawockeez mask
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment