Sunday, March 28, 2010

Import dvd trouble

When I try to import my dvd to Premiere elements 4, it duplicates some sections and omits others. The dvd is not copy protected, I made it myself. There is nothing wrong with the dvd,it plays in anything. Elements breaks it into 5 sections,one being the title page. Parts 2 %26amp; 4 are imported twice, and parts 3 %26amp; 5 are omitted. Please help !
Import dvd trouble
The very best solution is to convert those files to DV-AVIs (they'll be stitched together in the process), per the FAQs at the top of this forum.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e
Import dvd trouble
Or do this:

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38%26amp;t=2469

I tried converting to AVI, and got an error message That something had probably not installed correctly. So , I then tried repairing the program, with no results.I'm 53,and this is my first computer.I'm beginning to think, that I shouldn't be allowed to touch a computer.I'm about ready to uninstall PE 4,and throw it in the trash.Adobe has to have the poorest customer support on the market.The FAQ's are worthless, and the forum has my mind spinning. Isn't there a simple answer for anything, or am I in over my head?Even when I try to upload from my camcorder,it still won't upload all of the dvd.Yes,it's a mini dvd.Why does Adobe say that you can upload dvd's,if you have to convert to AVI? But,that doesn't work for me either.

%26gt;Isn't there a simple answer for anything, or am I in over my head?



http://muvipix.com :)

Seriously Richard, I highly recommend posting at Muvipix.

Start with the community http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/ and maybe post a hello in the Introductions forum and let everyone know what you are trying to accomplish. It won't be long before you have everything under control :)

I'm back again! I logged in to muvipix,and read the forums there.Now I can't get back in.I'm told my email doesn't exist.I guess I'm too dumb for that site too.I tried doing the prompt using e, because that's my cd/dvd player.I was told that e wasn't part of any program.I've uninstalled and installed PE 4 twice today.I converted to avi again,and got it on Pe 4.The only problem,I imported in full screen and it showed up in widescreen.The widescreen cuts the top off.Normally I wouldn't care about this,but the video is paranormal and it cuts the top of an apparition's head off. I give up.Does anyone know of a real dvd editing program? As far as muvipix,it looks like the cheapest price for it is 49.95. That's more than I paid for PE 4 ! I don't guess I'll ever get my video on a website.I actually took a computer class in college,and learned how to use a keypunch and card reader machines.I'm lost.

%26gt;Does anyone know of a real dvd editing program?



Do you want a DVD editing program or a DVD authoring program?



The best, most efficient program for editing DVD files and outputting a DVD is Sonic MyDVD.



It's, of course, not as powerful or full-featured as Premiere Elements, but it does use an MPEG workflow so, if you're putting DVD files in and getting DVD files out, that's the way to go.



It sounds like you may have a number of issues going on there, Richard. So this simple solution is probably the best.

Richard,

It is hard enough learning to use a computer to start with, let alone video editing and all that goes along with that. Baby steps are sometimes best. Learn how to use the computer, create folders, transfer files, copy and paste files, all of the basics first. Then move on to the more advanced topics like video.



The gang at muvipix would be happy to lend you a hand with everything, but you can't give up so easily. If you need help logging in just go to the muvipix Contact page and send us an note, we will get back to you usually within an hour.

Jan 30, 2009



I use Adobe Prem Elemment 7



Is there a way for PE 7 to read videos in *.vro format??



Ken Clayton

Here's software that says it will convert it.

http://www.soft29.com/vro_converter.html



You should convert it to a DV-AVI if you want to edit it in Premiere Elements.

Ken Clayton again...



I have that converter...AVS4YOU, but I wanted to avoid that since

it doubles my time.



Another question: How do I breakup (divide) a big video into smaller

video. I use PE7. I've looked at a lot of help files, but no DETAIL

instructions as to how to break my huge video apart.



Ken Clayton

It depends on what you mean.



Premiere Elements has the means to break up long sequences by content or time -- although this doesn't change the original file. You can export each piece as its own short file though.



Scenalyzer, on the other hand, will break a large file into smaller files based on content or time. You can find it at http://www.scenalyzer.com

Steve Grisetti,



Thanks for your response.



You told me that PE7 could break up videos. I want

to know HOW to do it. The menu shows it...faded out...

How do I take video and break it into smaller areas?



Ken

Right-click on a clip in the project media panel and you'll see the option to break scenes.

Steve,



'' Right-click on a clip in the project media panel and you'll see the option to break scenes''. What are you telling me?....



On the very first menu that shows: 1. I click on ''Open Project''. 2.I have choice of Organize, Edit, Disc Menu, Share. 3. I click on Editor no video clip. I clicked on Organize and there was a small picture in the right half of the menu.



Timeline? Screenline?



Where do I go from there??



Again, thanks for your help. I've played with this for a week and read pages of help, but no specific guidelins.



Ken

Ken, there's a great book on Premiere Elements 7 that will show many of these basic functions. It's written by me so you know it's good. ;) It's available at Amazon.com and at the Muvipix.com store.

http://astore.amazon.com/chuckengelsco-20/detail/0615248993/104-3709942-5611121



There are also lots of great tutorials on the Products page at http://muvipix.com, many of the basic for free. You'll also find lots of free Steve's Tips as well as free media. And, for an annual membership, you can have unlimited downloads from the entire ever-growing library. The free stuff there is a great place to start.



Meantime, if you click the Edit tab, you'll see a button labeled Project. That's your project media panel. It shows you every clip you've added to your project.



If you right-click on any clip you've added to your project in this panel, you'll see the option to break it into shorter scenes.

Steve,



I'll be d.... !!! I ordered that book about three or four days ago and should be here by the 5th, maybe sooner. I was praying

that it had the info I needed to really use the PE7.



Now I know the author and can ask you directly if your book doesn't

do the job. This is amazing !



You've made my day



Ken

Steve,



I did something wrong. When I right clicked on the little movie

in the lower left area, i had a number of choices, but the two

''break apart....'' options were faded out... not usable.



Ken

I suppose it's possible it doesn't work with all video formats -- but I've had no problems using the feature with either AVIs or VOBs from a DVD.



Does it list your clip as a Movie, to the right of the thumbnail image in the project media panel?



Make sure you're not right-clicking on a still photo!

Steve,



It says it's a Video Clip... I made a small 1 minute movie

from my notebook computer's camera. It plays etc., but I

can't get the break up... to work.



Would it hurt if I uninstalled and reinstalled the PE7 program?



I'll play with this later. I'm running out of energy !



Are you saying that you have been able to work/edit *.VRO files?



Back tomorrow. You've been awfully nice to me.



Thanks so much.



Ken

It says it's a video clip? It doesn't say it's a movie?



Are you sure you're in the project media panel? Can you post a screenshot of it, with your right-click menu showing?

Steve,



Half time of the super bowl !!!



Maybe you've found the answer. I copied a VCR to a DVD of a bunch

of 8 mm movies. They were in a *.VRO format (not *.avi)so I had to

convert them to *.Avi. Just now when I brought that *.avi into the PE7 it said it was a video clip, not a movie. Is that the problem?



What am I doing wrong when I copy the 8 mm movies from the vcr to the

dvd ? Or when I convert it from *.vro to *.ami? I presumed it was

a movie...



''screen shot'' ? You want a picture? Vista snipping tool?



Hope your book addresses this problem.



Ken

As long as the AVIs you converted them to are DV-AVIs, that's an excellent solution, Ken!

9:15 p.m.



Steve,



How do I know the file is a ''DV-AVIs'' format file?



Is a VRO file a movie or a clip?



Ken



FREE Gspot to find out what CODEC created a file



Monday eve



Steve,



You're busy, but I would especially like to know:



How do I get my files in *.ifo and *.vro

format usable in PE7?



Ken

You can try the Super for the ifos.

http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html



Whatever you use, make sure you're not just saving to an AVI, but to a DV-AVI.



But, as I understand it (and maybe somebody will correct me if I'm wrong) ifo and vro files aren't video files. They're part of the DVD's navigation. It's the VOBs that hold the video data.

Tuesday a.m.,



Steve,



Again, thanks for your help. I've helped others with their computer

problems for the past 15-20 years. Nice to have someone who has the

brains to help me... Thanks.



I have an older version of the converter program that you suggested, but it didn't have the VOB as one of the choices. I'll try a newer version.



I'd like to be able to copy the origiinal VCRs to DVDs in VOB format and not have to convert after I get it copied.



I'll be back.



Thanks for your time and skills.



Ken

For converting VOBs, please see the very first post I made to this thread, Ken.



Click Show All Messages, if the thread is collapsed.

Steve,



I'm still working.



Your book arrives tomorrow, I hope. Anxious to see what you

wrote. I did go back to your first note and am working on that

info.



Tomorrow... Ken

:) !

Thusday morn,



Steve,



Your book just arrived.. It looks pretty good... but I've got

to get the conversion problem solved before I start working in PE7



I liked your personal resume... wife and daughter..



Ken

Yeah, the wife and daughter thing is something I got right.

Steve,



I'm still blocked... converting my VOB files to DV-AVIs, as in your

instructions. i went to your site, downloaded Squared 5, (along

with uninstalling quicktime and installing the one needed)... but

the Squared 5 converter gave me only four choices: to: MPEG, MPEG wih MP2, headed MPEG, TS.



I converted to all of them, but all were read as video clip in PE7.



Does your book address this problem? If so, what chapter.



Ken

P.S. SO glad to know you're from the great midwest !

Sorry, I don't have my book here in front of me, but I think I talk about conversion software in my Appendix.



It's very similar to the information in the FAQs at the top of this forum. Have you tried any of the software I linked you to in my first post?



Meantime, where are you at? Is it driving distance?

Steve...



PAGE 33 IN YOUR BOOK... !!!



I'll study that and get back to you !!!



Ken

Steve,



Problem: Following your instructions on page 34, I brought up the converter, MPEG Streamclip 1.2@ 2006-2008Squared5. I went to File and

brought in a VOB file from the DVD. Your directions say to select the ''convert to AVI'' THAT IS NOT AN OPTION. I have: Convert to: MPEG,

MPEG WITH MP2, headed MPEG, TS. (FOUR CHOICES, NO AVI)



I do have a option of ''to EXPORT to AVI, etc... Is that what I want?



By the way, what little I've read so far, I love your book.



Ken

Glad you're liking the book, Ken! It truly was a labor of love. (And I promise the next one I do will be in color.)



Again, I'm working from memory here at the office, but I think you are on the right path with the Export to AVI option.



If it doesn't work, I can try to get to my computer later tonight and see what shows in my version of MPEG Streamclip.

Regarding .vro files. Those you can copy to your hard drive, then change the extensions from .vro to .vob. Then you can import them into Premiere Elements.

Robert,



I have brought in various files into PE7, Vob, avi, but they

don't seem to be edit-able... They are ''video clips'' and

when I drag them to the menu at the lower left (forgot the name)

it will not allow me to ''break files'' into different parts... in

other words I'd can clean up the movie.



Steve has been fantastic... do you know him?



Ken

Steve,



I tried to follow what you suggested... in the conversion

program, and EXPORT to AVI... but when I brought it up

in PE7, as an *.avi format, it was like all the rest...

''video clip'' and when I tried to use the ''break up movie..''

that was faded out...



I need a couple of minutes !!!!! to read more on that book...



Supper time.



Ken

%26gt; Steve has been fantastic... do you know him?



Steve who?



If you can't edit them then you have to convert them to DV-AVI, although you shouldn't be having the difficulty that you seem to be having editing them.



Punt.

Robert who?

Ken, here's what MPEG Streamclip's set-up should look like for DV-AVI output.



And, yes, you do choose the Export to AVI option.

8 p.m.,



Steve,



Thanks. I looked at that site, but didnn't have a clew as to what

it was suppose to do. I'll be back...



Robert J Johnson.... sent a note per this chat site.



He didn't know who ''Steve'' was either !!



Thanks again.



Ken

Robert J. Johnson,



Steve Grisetti is the author of ''The Muvipix.com Guide to ADOBE

Premier Elements 7''.



I've only had the book a few hours, but it appears to be written

much better than most computer books I've read. It has a lot

of well written tutorials...



Again, I haven't digested very much yet.



Ken

Steve is also the co-author with Chuck in ''Adobe Premiere Elements 2 in a Snap.''



Steve still owes me a Pepsi from a few years ago. Before I ever collect on it I will probably change tastes and prefer Sprite.

Steve,



Still having problems.... I thought I followed your instructions,

but when it went in the PE7, it was still a video clip and the

options of breaking the file apart was blanked out...



Question: In the converter, squared5, it shows nothing about Apple,

but when I went to that site you showed per jpg, the command line

change to DV/DVC-PRO NTSC, I notice that ''Apple'' is in front of that

line.....Apple DV/DVC-PRO.



Would that matter?



Also, when I converted the file from VOB to AVI ... then saved the file,

the extension was just *.avi, NOT DV-AVI...

Thanks. Ken

The extension will be avi. That much is right. And, yes, you should use the Apple DV codec. That's why it's important to have the latest Quicktime installed. Apple really designed the codec we use to edit DV.



As for Robert, he's kidding. Robert and I have been working together on these forums for years, by the way.



Robert, though, continually amazes me with what he discovers! So anytime he speaks, I humbly sit back and listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment