Monday, March 29, 2010

Scenealyzer... Opinions Please!

I'm looking into Third-Party products that will do basically what PRE's Scene Split By Content does: analyze a DV-AVI video clip and look for changes in scene content (NOT timecode) and create separate clips/DV-AVI files.



It doesn't have to do capture functions - I could use WinDV or Premiere for that - so it could either do it on the fly while capturing or just look at an existing AVI.



I see several recommendations for Scenalyzer, so that's my current ''gold standard''. I've downloaded the trial, and it works with my setup and I'm happy with the results.



What does everybody think of this product?

*Are the AVI files it produces OK quality-wise (i.e. codecs and whatnot)

*Are there any better products, especially free, that are comparable? It doesn't have to be perfect at scene recognition - ''close enough'' is good enough.



I just want to know before I plunk down my $35 for Scenealyzer if there's something cheaper/better/etc.



Thanks all!
Scenealyzer... Opinions Please!
Scenalyzer is excellent. And, if you're capturing from a miniDV camcorder over FireWire, the quality will be identical to video captured in Premiere Elements because there will be no file conversion at all. The video data, in DV-AVI format, will be identical to what is in the camcorder. (This is why miniDV remains the standard for editable video for both the PC and the Mac.)



In fact, WinDV will give you identical quality to Scenalyzer or Premiere Elements. The only real difference is the interface and a couple of extra Scenalyzer features.
Scenealyzer... Opinions Please!
%26gt;And, if you're capturing from a miniDV camcorder over FireWire



I am. Thanks, Steve

So are there any other products that will do what Scenealyzer will do for cheaper?



I don't mind spending the $35 (well, actually I do since it's basically to work around a PRE7 bug...:() but I just want to make sure there's not a cheaper solution.



Thanks!

Cheaper than $35?



Well, this page shows you some of the key features of the program.

http://scenalyzer.com/



Are those dealbreakers for you or extras? What are the features you feel you can't do without?



As many on this forum and on the Muvipix.com forum will agree, you just can't beat WinDV for stability, performance, ease of use and price (since it's free). But do you need something more than a good, reliable way to capture from miniDV?

I know, I feel like a cheapskate for saying $35 is too much. I guess I just look at it in the context of Premiere was $70.



Anyhoo... yes, I need more than capture. I've used WinDV and Premiere for capture... that's fine.



The scene analysis and creating clips/files from that analysis is what I'm after. This is all a result of another thread where we discovered an apparent Premiere bug where clips coming from split scene by content have no sequence numbers (a dealbreaker for my workflow!)



See: www.adobeforums.com
Ed Macke, ''Scene Detect - Duplicate ''Filename'''' #26, 26 Jan 2009 1:52 pm

I think you want Scenalyzer, Ed.



Look at it this way: It's barely the price of a tank of gas!

I pried open my wallet and got Scenalyzer Live.



Just have to say... Fantastic!!



The interface ain't anything pretty, but it did a great job. It controlled the camera, did almost flawless scene content analysis, created separate physical AVIs, all without one hiccup or complaint.



I bought it specifically to deal with older analog source material, but it works so well I think I'll use it for my newer digital stuff, too.



Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation.

Glad to help, Ed. Even happier to hear that it's everything you'd hoped for.
  • soft lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment