Sunday, March 28, 2010

Can Premiere Elements 7 Speed Up an AVI...

Hello.



I'd like to know if a video clip in uncompressed AVI format can be speeded up using Premiere Elements 7.0.



If this can be done, can someone please tell me which function in the software to use? (I currently do not have the software.)



Thank you. J. Danniel
Can Premiere Elements 7 Speed Up an AVI...
Well, you can't really use an uncompressed AVI in Premiere Elements. (It much prefers DV-AVIs, video captured over FireWire from miniDV camcorders.)



But, yes, speeding up a clip is very easy using Time Stretch. You can launch it by right-clicking on your clip on the timeline and selecting Time Stretch and then setting the playback speed.
Can Premiere Elements 7 Speed Up an AVI...
Hmmm...okay, well...is it possible to use Premiere Elements to convert the uncompressed AVI into an acceptable format?



Or would I have to do that first, prior to opening it in Premiere?



Can you recommend a tool that can do the converting?



Thank you for the response. Jd

You don't want to put an uncompressed AVI into Premiere Elements.



Are you sure it's truly uncompressed though? Where did it come from?



A truly uncompressed AVI would be well over 1 gigabyte per minute.

Hi Steve.



Here's what I did...I used a screen recording program to capture a screen saver in motion.



The motion of the screen saver was quite slow, most likely due to the processor maxing out, and/or physical memory being full. That's an assumption on my part.



I saved the capture to AVI format, and I'm pretty sure it's uncompressed. But now that you bring the subject up, and now that I think about it, I'm not sure it's truly uncomopressed.



If it helps, I checked the properties of the avi file.

It's 45 seconds long, 15.3 megabytes, with a frame rate of 15 per second. The data rate and bitrates are the same: 2852 kbps.



I'm going to dabble a bit with this. Now that I know about the Time Stretch feature, I'll play around with it a bit.



If there is anything else you need to know to help (if you so choose to), please let me know.



My goal was to capture a screen saver in motion, in real-time. It's not that easy to do...at least not with the tools I have at hand. I am trying to avoid installing an operating system in a virtual machine such as Virtual Box, just to capture ten seconds of screen saver imagery.



Thank you again. Jd

Download and install G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot) and run your AVI through it. You will get all of the info necessary, including any CODEC's used.



I use DigitalMedia Converter (Deskshare) to convert most file types to DV-AVI. It uses installed CODEC's on your system, so if you need, say DivX, you'll need to download and install it.



An uncompressed AVI will be about 4x larger than a DV-AVI, which is ~13GB/hour. Really, really big honking files. These will slow down your system and PE. Do convert, prior to Import, if they are uncompressed.



Hunt

Probably best to convert the AVI file to DV-AVI, you can use Windows Movie Maker. Or, if the file opens fine in Premiere Elements you may be ok, Premiere Elements can also possibly convert the file for you.



I don't think there is anything wrong with using uncompressed AVI in Premiere Elements, you can use it in Premiere Pro and After Effects without any issues. The size of the file might bog down your system a bit when trying to edit however.



For best results convert to DV-AVI



Video Tutorial for converting using Windows Movie Maker here

http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=42

Thank you for the responses.



May I ask a follow-up question?



I'm using an open-source tool called CamStudio to record the screen. In the Options/Video Options menu, there are various compressor options.



They include the following:

Microsoft Video 1

Intel IYUV Codec

Cinepak Codec by Radius

DivX 6.8.5 Codec (2 Logical CPUs)

TechSmith Screen Capture Codec



In your opinion(s), are any of these codecs worth using? If so, which one do you recommend?



I was originally using TechSmith's Camtasia 6.0 to record the screen captures. However, I think the resource and memory requirements for it slowed down the computer to the point where the screen saver motion crawled to a near-standstill.



Using CamStudio seems to require less resources, and the motion is a little faster. I still would like to speed it up.



Also: I'm assuming Premiere Elements can trim the beginning and end of a video clip. Is this correct? What I would want to do is trim the video clip and then time shift it.



Would it be better to time shift it and then trim it?



(I realize this question veers off-topic. Should I ask this question in a new thread?)



Thank you! J. Danniel

Unfortunately, none of those are video editor codecs. They're more delivery formats.

You can use Microsoft Video 1 in Camstudio, but make sure the setting for distance between keyframes is 3 or less. Then in Premiere Elements, use the HDV 720p project preset, which uses a square pixel aspect ratio. Don't use the DV project presets.



Uncompressed AVI is for editing, but plays back poorly. You won't be able to have a very long clip of it.

Robert,



I don't see a setting for distance between keyframes.



What I do see, in CamStudio, is an option named Set Keyframes Every ___________ frames. It's set to 200 and cannot be adjusted. It's locked at 200.



Is that the same thing? Jd

Jd, That's the same thing.



It's locked because the Auto Adjust option is ticked in the lower section. Clear that option and then you can adjust ''Set Keyframes Every ______ frames.

No comments:

Post a Comment