Monday, March 29, 2010

Out Of Memory - Serious Error'' 264...

Trying to make a video out of 264 photos (855 x 480) and a sound track from a Nikon D90 with the video removed. I get the many time mentioned problems of ''Out of Memory'' and then ''Serious error'' messages and then system has a hard crash. I used to be familiar with Prepiere Pro 1.5 but I retired and didn't think I would ever use Premiere again. Well - my church asked me to make a 20 minute video of our recent trip top the Holy Land. Si I bought Premiere Elements 7 but it is not helping my deadline. I have read where there may be too manhy clips or the size is wrong. Somewhere I read where 855 x 480 was correct for widescreen but the preferences say 720 x 480. Do I need to go back and adjust these settings? It 264 just too many? Should I go with 4:3? I'm on an XP with 2GB and plenty of disk space. Thank you in advance.
Out Of Memory - Serious Error'' 264...
Yes, 855x480 will fill a standard widescreen video frame.



But, assuming you've got a good 50-60 gigabytes of free, freshly defragmented space on your hard drive, I'd suspect that it's your audio track that's giving you trouble. You say it's from a video from still camera?



If so, you may have removed the video but, technically, it's still there. Just invisible.



Here's a solution that will work. Open another project and put that Nikon's video onto the timeline and the go to File/Export/Audio and save an audio only file.



If you use that for your soundtrack, your project should work much more efficiently.



Assuming you've got sufficient room on your hard drive.
Out Of Memory - Serious Error'' 264...
Blacktop,



IIRC, the D90 outputs in MJPEG CODEC for Video, and I am guessing that it is MPEG Audio muxed (combined into one file) for the Audio. You *should* be able to Import that file into a program like Audacity and Export out only the Audio. Choose PCM/WAV 16/48 for that. Then, Import that WAV file into PE to use as your Audio.



If I'm wrong about the D-90's file output, you can also use several de-muxing programs to do the same thing, but Audacity is free and pretty good at handling the Audio portion of files.



As for your images, for 16:9, they will be 720x480 with a PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of 1.2. If 4:3, they will be 720x480 with a PAR of 0.9. Your size will not really be a problem, though you will loose a bit of width (left, or right, or a bit of both), in a Project set up for DVD output. Not a biggie. The number of images should not be a problem.



I'll go pull specs on the D-90, to see if Nikon gives all of the specs, especially the Audio.



In the meantime, others might have a better method of extracting the Audio from your muxed files, using another program. Even if you delete the Video portion of your Asset, it's still in PE and is likely giving you the problem. Better to get an Audio-only file for use in PE.



Hunt

Thank you for the responses. I will try Steve's option first. I will post the results.

Sorry guys but both options did not fix the problem. I was able to squeeze another minute of the project in but it now hangs up just like before. Any other suggestions?

You say you've got ''plenty'' of disc space -- but does that mean like hundreds of gigs of free, defragmented space or more like 10 gigs? You probably will need at least 50 gigs of free, defragmented space to handle all those photos.



You also might consider working on your project in parts. Five slideshows with 50 or so slides certainly stands a better chance of working than one of 265. The FAQs at the top of this forum show you how to combine the parts into one final mix.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbe608f

Blacktop,



Have you tried to complete the Video portion (your stills only), without using the Audio, just as a test? Were you able to get that to work? If so, do a Save_As (change your Project Name to ''[Filename}_Video''). Then try to add your Audio. This separates the processes, and will point you (and us) to where the problem might lie.



Using Steve's approach (I like that better than mine with another Audio-only program), do this as a separate Project, just to extract the Audio from your D-90's MJPEG file. Export Audio, as a discrete file, which you'll Import into your main Project, as an Asset.



Steve also makes a very good point about the amount of free space needed. If you also have Windows' Page File on the same hard drive (HDD), and it's set to dynamic management, it too can grow exponentially. What seemed like a lot of free disk space can shrink in a hurry. For large Projects, I always have about 2TB of free space on my system.



Right now, in Premiere Pro 2, I'm working on a Project with over 1400 720x480 stills (all with pans %26amp; zoom), about 100 short .MOV files and 20+ .AVI files. Though I know I will now jinx myself and regret it, I have had no resource issues what so ever. I am also editing to/from an external HDD, and the only issue that I have is when loading the Project - it takes about 1 min. to sort out all of those links and load. Now, I do have 5 very large and fast internal HDD's and keep most of them free for scratch disks, Page File, etc.



Let us know if you can do the Video-only portion without a hiccup.



Good luck,



Hunt

OK. I believe the reason the suggestion from Steve to export audio only and then use these audio clips didn't work - was - I failed to delete the original D90 audio/video clips not only from the timeline (which I did) but also from the library. Once I did that I was able to complete the video and render it. I would still have to save every few minutes or I would get a warning but it never crashed again. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Blacktop,



Glad you are editing. Thanks for reporting back.



Out of habit, my workflow is to always extract Audio in Audition, and then Import only that. Personally, I like to feed my NLE and my authoring programs just the files, that make them happy.



This thread might help others, as more D-90's are sold, just like the Canon 5D MK II threads. It seems that these two cameras, and their CODEC's are giving NLE's fits in several different ways. I'm sure that both Canon and Nikon (at least I hope so), will issue their different CODEC's to the public, so that some of these issues will abate.



Hunt

I get the same message when I export a photoshop slide show in PE7 to avi format. It seems to render fine until the last minute. It then crashes saying ''error compiling movie.Out of memory''

And does this happen, Vijaya, even if you take the advice posted above -- making sure your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels and working on your project in 10-15 minute segments -- and ensuring that you have at least 40-50 gigabytes of free, defragmented space on your hard drive?

Hi

I have similar instability with a very similar size project, mostly slides, some video clips and audio from CDs. It wont render(out of memory) or burn DVD ( freezes after encoding), it periodically blanks out clips in scene line. But it always recovers the blanks after Save , close, exit and start again.

I have XP, 3GB RAM , lots of external and internal disc, and have set up virtual memory in line with Adobe guide 33161.

The only thing I can find so far is '' combine'' projects , but don't think thats available in version 3. And it would be very difficult to go back.

Also I was not able to import from Photoshop creations with more than one clip or if I did, it was not able to ''Break it apart'' without failing.

I am afraid I am only adding the the range of problems but I do this as its more possible diagnostic information.

Its not to do with audio as I had most of these problems before the video was added.

I am prepared to upgrade the product if version 7 supports bigger projects, as I am wasting so much time on work arounds and am now at a brick wall.

Help

My project was created like this:



a) Slide show was created in PS7 with pan %26amp; zoom transitions %26amp; audio (3 mp3 files).

b) It was then sent to PE 7.

c) After I emailed my problem, I did some changes.

d) I did file, export,movie (like before) but this time, I chose microsoft AVI (don't ask me why!), then unchecked chapters under compile settings %26amp; unchecked recompress



It worked fine. The output AVI was 20 GB (that could have been the problem) But I burnt it to DVD %26amp; had no error %26amp; it works so well on TV - just as I wanted it to. I have not seen any other slide show look so well. So I am relieved %26amp; happy that I did not get the error message again. I had only like 39GB of hard disk when I created this AVI file.

Good new, V!



Chris, if you're looking for help, you should start your own thread. It's hard enough having two conversations at once in the same thread -- three is darn near impossible!
  • soft lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment