Monday, March 29, 2010

run time error when capturing from...

Currently I have only installed the trial version of Premiere Elements 7 to insure it is what I want before I buy it. It is almost perfect except for one problem.



Whenever I connect my digital video camera (which is panasonic) and click to capture from DV a sign comes up to say there is a runtime error and the program has to terminate. Then when I click ok PE7 shuts down.



Any ideas? Thanks!! I would love to know that it works before I buy it.
run time error when capturing from...
This post has been deleted by the poster.
run time error when capturing from...
Steve,



OK, I slept in and have only had one cup of coffee, but I cannot find Kate's system specs. anywhere. How did you know?



Kate,



Runtime errors are usually generated at the OS level. They most often stem from a problem with the Runtime.dll in Windows. Outside forces can trigger them, but so can internal OS forces. Though mainly from P-Pro, some of these issues might help you troubleshoot your problem:

http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Search?search=runtime%26amp;go=1



There are several discussions, so you will have some reading in front of you. You should get some ideas about where to start, and then others can possibly help you here.



Good luck,



Hunt

Maybe I didn't have enough coffee, Hunt! I confused two postings -- so I've removed my posting here. Thanks for catching it for me!

Kate, can you also tell us more about your computer?



What processor do you have, how much RAM and how much free, defragmented hard drive space is on your hard drive? Also, are you using Vista Sp1 or XP sp3? And have you ensured that you've installed the latest version of Quicktime?



Also, is your camcorder a miniDV or HDV camcorder connected via FireWire or is it another type of camcorder?

Kate,



Here is another Runtime article from MS:



http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884538



Hunt

I am actually running windows XP with about 512MB of RAM and 8GB defragmented hard drive space.

My camcorder in miniDV.

Thank you.

Ouch! That's barely enough room for the program to function, Kate!



As a bare minimum, you want 1 gig of RAM (2 gig is ideal with XP) and at least 20-30 gigs of free, defragmented hard drive space. (In addition, you'll want at least 20 gigs of free space for every hour of video you plan to capture.)



8 gigs of free hard drive space is a sure recipe for disaster, especially when you're working with intensive programs like photo and video editors. You simply don't have enough room for the program to write scratch files.

Kate,



As Steve points out, your system is likely running out of disk space, just with the Page File (Windows' virtual memory, especially if it's set to dynamically manage). Add a full GB of RAM, and a second physical HDD, and you will likely eliminate many of the problems.



Hunt

But the program runs fine and quite smoothly unless I try to capture.. I'm currently backing up my hard drive then I'm going to download the hotfix suggested from microsoft and see how it goes.. I will let you know.

Thank you for all your help!

Kate, you don't have enough scratch disk space. It may seem to operate, but I guarantee you that any intensive function -- capture, creating titles, burning a DVD -- is going to lock up and shut down the program.

I am having the same problem, but my computer is a Dell 8400 with 3 GB RAM, and oodles of hard drive space, running Windows XP Pro SP-3 with all the latest updates installed. I have a Panasonic PV-GS500 camcorder. It connects via USB 2.0 to my computer. I previously used PE 4 and then 6 and was able to capture video from the camcorder via USB. PE 7 runs fine, for all other purposes, but when I try to capture video from the camcorder, as soon as I click on the DV Camcorder icon, the frame of the capture window appears but before it completely opens I immediately get the message: ''Premiere Elements Debug Event -- Premiere Elements has encountered an error [..\..\Src\Timecode.cpp-995].'' This is followed by an MS Visual C++ Runtime error, and Premiere Elements closes all windows and shuts down. I've tried following most of the suggested troubleshooting articles. I even uninstalled PE 7 and reinstalled it. I've made sure to set the Device Control to ''USB Class 1.0 Device Control''. Nothing has helped so far. I've had to resort to using the software (MotionDV Studio) that came with the Panasonic to at least capture my video, then import the resulting avi file into PE 7. That works, but this is NOT how Premiere Elements is supposed to work. It's advertised as working with USB, but they seem to have second thoughts about that AFTER you buy it and are then told it works better with Firewire. Since I don't have a Firewire connection, I'm frustrated, as you can tell. Anyone out there have a clue?

Doesn't sound like the same problem at all, Russ, otherwise we'd give you the same advice. So you'll get better response to your posting if you create your own thread.



Meantime, make sure you've updated to the latest Quicktime.



And DON'T capture over USB. That camcorder also have a connector for a FireWire cable, and if you connect to your computer over FireWire, and you've got the latest Quicktime, most likely it will resolve your issues.

Russ,



Before you initiate your separate post, you might wish to expand this thread. I posted several links to Runtime Errors earlier on. There might be something of use in those.



Also, I am not aware that any version of PE could Capture via USB.



Good luck,



Hunt



[Edit] I am partially correct, but partially incorrect. From the Adobe PE Readme:

i ''To connect DV camcorders via USB2 instead of FireWire you will need to verify your DV camcorder supports the USB Video Class 1.0 driver (sometimes advertised as USB over DV, DV Motion, USB 2.0 DV streaming). Most DV Camcorders do not currently support this driver. The older USB streaming format common on many DV camcorders is not able to send the video in the DV format over USB and is therefore not supported in Adobe Premiere Elements.''



Learn something new everyday.

In my experience, capture over USB into Premiere Elements has never been successful -- even when the camcorder uses Video Class 1, technology that was pretty much obsolete before it was fully deployed.



Trust me. FireWire is the only way to go for video capture.

All I can say is, capture via USB worked just fine in the two previous versions (4 and 6) of Premiere Elements. In fact, it worked so well, I actually uninstalled the DVMotion capturing software that came with my Panasonic camcorder, and I only used PE to capture video because it worked so well. That is, until I bought and started using PE 7 this month. Why advertise that it works with USB if it really doesn't? I'm disappointed and considering asking for my money back. I was better off with version 6. It bothers me that a new version doesn't work (a) as advertised and (b) as well as a previous version. My Dell Dimension 8400 doesn't have a Firewire connection. Is the only other alternative to get an expansion card? I tried that once when I bought a 500 GB external drive and the expansion card itself caused more problems than it resolved. Pulled the card, and use USB instead. What a hassle!

You can certainly contact Adobe Tech Support and see if there's another solution.



But, as I said, in my experience (and I've got a USB Video Class camcorder) capture through other-than-FireWire just won't go in version 7.



One possible solution is to capture into Windows MovieMaker. That should support USB Video Class capture. You might even want to try the free capture utility WinDV. Both of these capture as DV-AVIs, which are perfectly compatible with Premiere Elements.

Thought I'd update this with my final resolution. I began to have an additional problem with PE 7 involving a complete ''Not Responding'' freeze while simply adding some titling to certain scenes. After trying a variety of suggested techniques to get the video capture working via USB (as advertised), I finally requested a refund for PE 7, uninstalled it from my computer, and reinstalled PE 4. Of course, I tried capturing camcorder video via USB then with PE 4, and it worked like a charm. So my suspicion remains that there's some sort of bug in PE 7, unless there's some unresolvable conflict that I'm unable to figure out. I'm not a computing newbie. I've been doing this stuff since MS-DOS. If I'm having trouble, my guess is that other people are equally frustrated with PE 7. Now that I've compared version 7 to version 4, I really don't see that many really useful improvements.



If anyone knows how to elevate this issue to Adobe's tech staff, perhaps they can resolve it. I've given up on it and don't have the energy to jump through any more hoops to get it to their attention. Sometimes older is better than newer, at least for some of us.

Heck Russ, I still like and use version 3 more than anything else 8)

Yeah, I made a mistake in some of my earlier postings with a reference to a version 6, which I discovered I did not own (and am not even sure existed). However, version 4 works great for capturing video from camcorders that use a USB 2 connection, like my Panasonic. I just finished importing more than an hour of camcorder video with not a single hitch.

%26gt;version 6, which I discovered I did not own (and am not even sure existed



Nope, no version 6 will ever come to be. Adobe skipped versions 5 and 6 to catch up to Photoshop Elements.

itis strange that you are facing trouble with capture. I am using a firewire capture and PE7 works perfectly fine for me. can someone give me more details about how and when it crashes. it will be a good case to get back to tech support.

No comments:

Post a Comment