Thursday, April 1, 2010

Suddenly can't add .mpg files into PE3

Never been able to capture direct from my Sony DCR-SR210 into PE3, I've been saving to my desktop hard drive and adding the .mpgs from there without any problem, but suddenly I can't do it any more. It shows the ''pending media'' screen and the indexing bar on the bottom right just keeps filling and emptying over and over again. I've tried putting the files through Windows Moviemaker, but the files go in OK, I can view them, and then WMM crashes when I put the file in the timeline (this has always happened). The files play fine on Power DVD, so I guess they're OK. I'm on Windows XP. Thanks!
Suddenly can't add .mpg files into PE3
First thought is that you haven't got enough clean, defragmented, free hard drive space.



Is there anything else that's changed? Have you added new software? Are you working off a second hard drive?



Are you using the newest version of Quicktime?
Suddenly can't add .mpg files into PE3
I agree with the defragmenting solution, a couple very possible causes are that the drive is not defragmented or the drive is running very low on disk space.

I just defragged, there's still a lot of fragmented files on there tho, and I still can't import my latest video files. The problem did indeed start a couple of days ago when I pretty much ran out of space, so bought an external hard drive and shifted a lot of files from my cdrive to there. I've now got 40gb free space on the Cdrive. After the failure of my attempt to import my latest files from my new external drive, I'm not using it at all now to try to add media to my pe3 project, but still no dice! I downloaded file conversion software to see if that would solve the problem, and it does, but only with intolerable loss of quality. Any advice on how to clear up my Cdrive further? thanks for your time guys, x

Have you updated your Quicktime?



Also, run this maintenance on your hard drive. It will clear up a lot of temp files and junk that are taking up space.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc43f9a/0



As for conversion software, that's a good idea -- but, if you're using the right software, you won't see a significant reduction in quality. After, PRemiere Elements is going to convert your file anyway to a DV-AVI, so you'll be ahead of the game if you do it first.



Here are some tools that will do it.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e

Can you try this thing. Go to Preferences%26gt;Scratch disc and change the location to keep temporary files to the new external hard drive partition. change all the options that you have there.

Oh, and go to Premiere Elements Edit/Preferences/Media Cache and press the button to clear the cache.

You know what grisetti steve? you got a big fat kiss and a coupla beers in barcelona spain! thanks chuck and titanic too. now i've got a huge pile of editing to do, cheers!

You guys serve your beer too warm in Europe, but I'm there for the kiss and the tour of town! Bueno!

No comments:

Post a Comment