Sunday, April 4, 2010

CATALOG PSE6 failed to convert

After installing PrEl7 complete, I uninstalled it and reinstalled PrE7 minimal, to save space. Installation went fine, but catalog from PSE6 failed to convert, unlike the first time. What are my options?
CATALOG PSE6 failed to convert
From the FAQs at the top of this forum.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b78a03
CATALOG PSE6 failed to convert
The FAQ discusses rebuilding the Premiere Elements Organizer Catalog, but that is not what I want to do. I have rebuilt my Photoshop Elements Catalog, by reconnecting missing files, etc. and now I want Premiere Elements to pick up the PSE6 catalog - which it failed to do when I installed it. There is no catalog in my PremElem7.

Edwin ,



Premiere Elements 7 has the File %26gt; Catalog Open command where you can choose which catalog to have open in Premiere Elements.



However, I am not sure if Premiere Elements 7 can use a Photoshop Elements 6 catalog. Is that what you are intending to do?



Do you have Photoshop Elements 7? The catalog functions in Premiere Elements are very limited: if you have Photoshop Elements 7 I would upgrade a PSE 6 catalog in PSE 7 and then use it in PRE 7.

I agree with you, Barb. I don't think version 7 can use the version 6 catalog. That's why I suggested Edwin force the program to rebuild it.

Steve,



We have both concluded that v7 Premiere Elements can not use the v6 catalog.



However, recreating the catalog (as referenced in the FAQ) would loose the tagging information for the videos and I am interpreting Edwin's posts to mean that the tagging info is important to him. So that is why I am asking if he has Photoshop Elements 7.

Are you sure you lose the tagging, Barb? I thought tags and metadata were attached to the files themselves, not just to the Organizer's link to them.



I could be wrong though...

Steve,



I did a test tonight with Photoshop Elements 6 Organizer using a classroom system (Premiere Elements was not available).



After I had applied a Tag to 1 DV-AVI file (Canon mini DV camcorder) and applied a Tag to 1 .mpg file (Sony HDD SD camcorder), I looked at each of the files for metadata using Gspot. Gspot showed nothing in the ''Userdate/metadata'' area. So is it not there or is Gspot not displaying it?



Edwin,

%26gt;reinstalled PrE7 minimal



%26gt;but catalog from PSE6 failed to convert, unlike the first time



As I read these phrases again, it stands out to me that you say the PSE 6 catalog converted successfully the first time. So we might guess that the Prem Elements v 7 minimal install is missing what you need to convert the PSE 6 catalog.



Now IF you do have PSE v7, I do suggest that you use it to upgrade your PSE 6 catalog to PSE 7 as I previously mentioned - then open it in Premiere Elements 7.

Thanks for the research, Barb. That's very enlightening!

I am disappointed in this lack of catalog support. Here is what happened:



There is a PrE7 forum entry of about 2-3 months ago, where a COMPLETE installation of PrE7 (4 GB) took about 8 hours, but appeared successful, including conversion of my PSE6 catalog. Several forum respondents said something must be wrong, and I should reinstall, which I did, not as complete, but shortened (%26lt;1GB) which completed in 15 minutes. But, as Barb confirmed, the catalog will not convert from PSE6. Why did it convert a few months ago?? The technology must be in flux. Or is something missing in the short version?



I have worked on my catalog of 15,000 images for some 8 years, using 120 tags, originally starting in Photoshop Album 2.0, and including both still images and video. There is also forum correspondence on my conversion from Album 2 to PSE6, which was finally successful, and which I am VERY eager to preserve, especially since Adobe made it so difficult to give permanence to PSA and PSE catalogs. I do have a PSE7 upgrade but chose not to install it so far, and now that the catalog permanence has been endangered again, probably to promote upgrade sales, my hesitation escalates. My Adobe catalog is more important to me than a Premiere catalog in an uncertain and impermanent format. I do not use a folder system, but the PSA/PSE catalog system on which I am really dependent for handling this many images.



Does anybody have a recommendation for my apprehensions? How can I start a video-only catalog in this shaky PrE7 ? The suggested tags (too light, etc.) are not really catalog-type tags.



Edwin M

I think you're definitely to the point where this merits a call to Adobe Tech Support, Edwin.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbe7d56

%26gt;How can I start a video-only catalog in this shaky PrE7



1- Please search your hard drive and check if you have any file with the pse7db file type? (be sure to have hidden files visible when you are searching) If yes, post the folder in which you find it and what its last modified and creation dates are on the pse7db file.



2- Are you using a PSE 6 catalog with the default name of ''My Catalog'' or have you created a catalog with your own name? Also do you use the default or a custom location for the PSE 6 catalog? Are you running XP or Vista?



----------------------------------------

the following are more general comments so I have separated them from the above specific response :



%26gt;as Barb confirmed, the catalog will not convert from PSE6. Why did it convert a few months ago?? The technology must be in flux. Or is something missing in the short version?



Based on what you reported it would seem that the conversion support may not be in the minimal/short version. I don't know for sure and I think that you might need to ask that question to Adobe tech support.



%26gt;I do have a PSE7 upgrade but chose not to install it so far, and now that the catalog permanence has been endangered again, probably to promote upgrade sales, my hesitation escalates.



I do think that it would be better to discuss this part of your question over in the PSE forum. I don't understand why you think that catalog permanence is endangered again: I do not agree with that conclusion. Upgrading a catalog is a normal activity when going to a new version of Photoshop Elements and now also Premiere Elements. I also started with Photoshop Album 2.



Now I realize that the upgrade from PSA 2 to PSA 6 was difficult and it has been difficult for other people too. I do think that Adobe should have been better at anticipating that people would be converting from PSA 2 to PSE 6 (for Vista support as well as for other reasons).



You have cleaned up your catalog so to do the upgrade from a PSE 6 catalog to a PSE 7 catalog should be much simpler. Personally, I have more confidence in Photoshop Elements 7 and the PSE 7 catalog than I do in version 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment