Sunday, April 4, 2010

Premiere Elements 7 - Interlaced...

Hi there,



I have AVCHD material from a Canon HF-100.

Editing and exporting to AVCHD works fine.

Exporting to another format, MPEG-2 DVD or WMV, always shows horizontal interlaced stripes. It's not like it's a wrong field order, just bad quality...



Any tipps?



Thanks!

Alexander
Premiere Elements 7 - Interlaced...
It's a problem concerning WMV: Only WMV9 Advanced Profile supports that, and I cannot set it to ''interlaced'' in the export. Any ideas?
Premiere Elements 7 - Interlaced...
Are you working from a project that's set to the AVCHD project presets?



Regardless, this could be a major challenge. After all, you're taking a highly-compressed, high-definition image, uncompressing and transcoding it, then re-compressing it as a 320x240 video.



But maybe someone who has successfully done this with AVCHD footage has a recommendation.

Hi Steve,



I want to export to 1920x1080 HD WMV, which is supported by WMV9AP.

The AVCHD footage is not the issue, it is the export settings in Premiere Elements, I'm sorry to say.



Other tools can do it perfectly.

There are interlaced and progressive export options for WMV which you can customize to the desired HD resolution.

Paul, please give me some more advice - I just cannot see any such options or settiags anywhere.

TIA,

Alexander

If you go to Share, Personal Computer, Windows Media you have a number of export presets. There is HD 1080i (interlaced) and HD 720p (progressive). If you select either you can go into Advanced, Video and set the frame size to 1920x1080. You can then export either interlaced or progressive at 1920x1080, note the interlaced export has the ''Allow Interlaced Processing'' check box in Advanced selected.

Hi Paul,



thanks for your efforts. But this brings me back to my initial problem:

The only Windows Media Codec, according to Microsoft, actually supporting Interlaced material is ''9 Advanced Profile''. The others need to deinterlace the material!



If I select ''Advanced Profile'', the ''Allow Interlaced Processing'' checkbox disappears.



Hence, the resulting WMV clip has drastic ''combing'' effects.



The only workaround I currently see is to deinterlace the material and encode WMV progressive - but that will never reach the same quality as keeping it interlaced.



To illustrate, I've uploaded some testclips (approx 129 MB):

http://rapidshare.com/files/199081597/samples.zip.html

MD5: 647299BC3E37747734F7C37AA80D57B6



'_source.m2t' is the source AVCHD file

Three WMV files (all starting with 'Premiere') to illustrate what goes wrong. One uses the original Premiere settings 'HD 1080i 25', one uses that setting, but with a frame width of 1920, one is a test setting I made for 9AP.

In all three Premiere export clips, the people moving through the picture show the mentioned effects. If one knows where to look, it's visible everywhere, but it shows best in moving objects.



One WMV file ('TMPGEnc 4.0 Express Test 3.wmv'), which shows what I would like to accomplish with Premiere directly.



Thanks again for your time,



Alexander

If you see combing when playing back, such as in Windows Media Player, then the Allow Interlaced Processing that you ticked actually worked when you switched to WMV 9AP, even though that option disappeared.



As an experiment, switch to WMV9 and uncheck that option if its checked. Then switch to WMV9AP and export. You will see a difference. Playback should look smoother, without combing.



The one that doesn't look combed will be the one where you didn't tick the option before switching to WMV9AP.



Another point is in order for the ''Allow Interlaced Processing'' to work, the export dimensions must match the source dimensions. At least that is what I was told when I was working with the Windows Media Encoder 9 Series.

Morning Robert,



thanks for your efforts, but that was not the solution. Did you actually test it?



Sorry to disagree:

Checking the ''allow interlaced'' option and changing the codec to WMV9AP ''unchecks'' the option, and it is not applied at all. Whatever it is meant to do, whatever I try, Premiere _always_ exports WMV as progressive clips.



Also, in my experience, Windows Media Player doesn't show combing effects on proper interlaced material, it is quite capable of playing such material properly (download my testclips, if you like). But, to avoid errors which might lie in a single Player software, I test all the clips in this issue on Windows Media Player, Xbox 360 (directly and via Media Center Extender) and on the Playstation 3. All show the same problems.



So, finally, not sure if this is a bug or just a lack of an important feature: Adobe, please enhance the WMV export to properly handle interlaced material. TIA!



Alexander

Of course I tested it Alexander. I know what I'm doing.

Didn't want it to sound like that, sorry.



Still, I only get progressive material out of Elements 7...

You are so right, Alexader. I have to say that I get a ''F'' on this one. I must have been seeing what I wanted to see.



I found out using Windows Media Encoder 9 Series that in addition to the ''Allow Interlaced Processing'' option, there is another option on a different tab that you need to check to actually make the video interlaced. If that isn't checked off, then you still get Progressive flag but with an indication that the scan was BFF or TFF (according to MediaInfo). I haven't read far enough to know what is going on with that.



So in Premiere Elements, not only is the ''Allow Interlaced Processing'' option on the wrong format, there isn't a option to make the video interlaced.

Hi Robert,



thanks. I have a ticket open with Adobe Support, hopefully they'll fix it.



Bye

Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment