Thursday, April 1, 2010

PE7 - Crashes and intermittent sound...

Why haven't you updated ATI and your RealTek drivers? That would be my first recommendation. Also get the latest Quicktime.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c057647/2



These are all key components supporting the program.



You should also optimize Vista for video editing, again per the FAQs at the top of this forum.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7



But all that said and done, Premiere Elements isn't always the most efficient program for editing AVCHD. It can do it, certainly -- but because the program edits the files natively, rather than through a proxy, it puts tremendous stress on your system.



I can't tell from your specs if your system is a quad core, but on this forum we recommend for AVCHD video editing that you have, at minimum, a quad core processor and 4 gigs of RAM. From the FAQs again:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b699a8/8
PE7 - Crashes and intermittent sound...
I have sproblems on a new system that I have just put together. I have downloaded the trial of PE7 to compare with other software.

The system is:

Core i7 920 on ASUS P6T Deluxe

3Gb 1333Mhz Crucial memory,

ATI Sapphire 4850 512Mb,

2 separate (not RAID) 1Tb Samsung 7200 rpm SATA300 drives with 32Mb buffer,

on board sound.

Vista Ultimate 32 bit (PE7 does not support 64 bit).

OS %26amp; PE7 on C drive, Clips and project files on 2nd hard drive.

Drivers installed from camera CD as needed for camera USB recognition.



Video playback on editing is smooth but sound keeps disappearing until I have rendered the timeline. The clips play back perfectly using Panasonic's HD Writer, either individually or sequentially.



I have also had a number of crashes while trying things out with only 6 or less clips on the timeline. AVCHD clips (1920x1080i 25 PAL) were imported onto the data hard drive from my Panasonic HDC HS100 using HD Writer and then brought into PE7 by directing to the appropriate directory. Fewer than 100 clips of the 1500 on the HD were referenced into PE7. I initially tried to reference (conform?) all 1500 clips but cancelled when the referencing seemed to freeze.



The new PC has been allowed to update all that is available from Microsoft Update and the only significant additional software is AVG anti-virus. I have not specifically updated ATI or Sound drivers.



Vegas Platinum Pro 9 trial seems more stable and has no sound problems but PE7 seems to offer a more intuitive interface and more facility. Also, Vegas seems only to use 4 cores.



Would appreciate any timely advice. I spec'ed the new PC to be better than PE7 requirements and performance is disappointing.

In the past on other PC's I have used Pinnacle (up to Studio V8 ) and been very disillusioned by persistent crashes on machines which exceeded their specifications.

I have 28 days left to solve the issues if I am to buy PE7
PE7 - Crashes and intermittent sound...
I don't have the exact specs handy... but the Intel i7 is ''the'' latest and greatest from Intel, with performance higher than anything previous

Hmm. They couldn't be more ambiguous, could they?



This also doesn't tell me much.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/index.htm



But it sounds like it's built for state-of-the-art gaming, which means that it's likely got plenty of power for video editing.

Audio dropouts are common unfortunately. I went out and got a huge machine thinking they would go away but they didn't. The problem did improve, and dropouts are not as long or as frequent as they used to be, but they still drive me crazy!



%26gt;I have not specifically updated ATI or Sound drivers.



I would recommend doing that, and your DVD Burner firmware as well.



Everything you wanted to know about Premiere Elements and more...

http://muvipix.com

Because there are stories to tell.

Thanks folks: The problem was that I had not installed Quicktime. I got the impression that it was only necessary for saving to mp4, Divx, and other similar formats. Now that I have installed Quicktime (and Studio 12 Plus trial) the audio is fine in preview.

Core i7 is effectively 8 core, 4 cores with hyperthreading on each one. It shows as 8 CPU activity graphs in Asus PC Probe.

I installed 3Gb RAM because, as I understand it, PE7 deos not support Vista 64 bit and 32 bit only recognises 3.5 Gb memory. Core i7 processors use DDR3 memory in banks of 3 so a 4th 1 Gb stick would not be efficiently used, as I see it.

I have checked updates for ATI and for SoundMax drivers and both are negative - all the parts are brand new after all so that is not surprising. I have not defragged yet because the PC has hardly been used yet.

I have some comparisons to make now. I am impressed with PE7 but also with Studio 12 Plus. I am posting another question dealing with large projects in AVCHD.

Thanks again

Ron

Grisetti scores!



Glad you're up and running, Ron!

No comments:

Post a Comment