Thursday, April 1, 2010

AVI Xvid and Premiere Elements...

Hello,



I am thinking about buying an Insignia NS-DCC5HB09 HD Camcorder which records to AVI(Xvid). I realize this isn't a high quality camera, but from what I've seen, will do as well if not better than my Panasonic PV-GS120 digital Camcorder.



I use Premiere Elements 6 on my Vista Home Premium Computer and I am curious if anyone can tell me if I will have problems using the video from this camera in my projects?
AVI Xvid and Premiere Elements...
Xvid (as well as Divx) will give you nothing but problems if you try to use as a source file for editing in Premiere Elements. Sorry, David.



On the other hand, the Panasonic miniDV is an ideal choice!
AVI Xvid and Premiere Elements...
Thanks Steve....I will not buy this camera then and I am glad I asked before I bought it.



I had problems using the 640x480 video my Canon SD550 Digital Elf shot and thanks to this forum, discovered that I could use Windows Movie Maker to convert them to 740x480 avi files and my problems were over.



Are their any inexpensive HD cameras out there that take video that Premiere Elements 6 can use with no problems?

Well, there is no Premiere Elements 6, so that could be a problem, David. ;)



By HD, do you mean high definition video or hard drive camcorder?



I would not recommend using a hard drive camcorder with this program, David. You can do it -- but hard drive cams never interface as well as tape based (miniDV and HDV) camcorders do over a FireWire connection.

BTW, if you like the book, please drop by our ''sister'' site http://muvipix.com/phpBB3// and say hello.



Muvipix.com was set up by a group of regulars from this site who wanted to create a helpful and supportive community for amateur and semi-professional videomakers.



Lots of great tutorials there -- as well as the friendliest and most knowledgeable forum moderators you'll find anywhere!

Hi Steve,



Sorry.....I mean I use Premeire Elements 4 .......also use Photoshop Elements 6.



I am more interested in HD as in High Definition. I have seen several flash memory HD camcorders advertised lately and that combined with You Tube using HD videos now....thought it might be something I might try. I appreciate your input very much.

Many of the hi-def camcorders that are sold as being perfect for YouTube use MP4 compression (the Flip cameras, for instance). They're nice and small and cheap and are great for plug and play, but I don't recommend them if you want to do any video editing.



I also recommend against camcorders that save to hard drives, including the AVCHD hi-def camcorders. (I say this despite the fact that many people are using them.) They demand a tremendous amount of computing power in Premiere Elements. Maybe, in a few years, when computers are twice as fast as a typical quad core -- but not for today's under $1,000 computers.



My not-so-humble advice is to stick with tape-based camcorders, whether they are standard DV or hi-def. That means miniDV and HDV, basically. In fact, the Canon HV camcorders are used by a number of the people on the Muvipix site and they love them! Affordable and excellent quality.



In fact, go over to the Muvipix forum and check out the camcorder forum there. I'm sure you'll find lots of good information and friendly advice.

Thanks Steve.....I appreciate your advice.
  • soft lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment