Thursday, April 1, 2010

How to get smooth slow motion?

Does anybody have any suggestions for how to get smooth-looking slow motion video?



I'm trying to do movie-like things like show a basketball layup normal speed right up until the ball goes in and then slow it down to ultra-slow motion. Or show my kid going by on a merry-go-round... she approaches normal speed then slows down as she goes by. I hope you get the idea.



The way I do it is to take a clip, split it, and the part after the split is time-stretched to a certain percentage, say 25%. But the video looks REALLY choppy.



I'm looking for the smooth ultra slow motion that you see on TV (think ''The Matrix'' or Mythbusters slow-mo explosions). I thought I remembered Mythbusters saying they have a 10,000 frame/second camera or some such nonsense - I hope that's not the secret because I don't have one of those! :)



Any helpful hints or suggestions, like techniques in PRE, or even camera tricks if I know I'm going to edit something as slow motion?
How to get smooth slow motion?
What are your source files... slow motion only works well with DV-AVI source files. Also take a look at this post. Someone with the same problem and a couple of suggestions... specifically the rendering and frame blend suggestions

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b752f7/1
How to get smooth slow motion?
D'oh. I should have mentioned: I'm using DV-AVI source.



I've done the rendering, but I haven't tried the frame blend. That sounds promising...



Wow, that guy had a 150 fps camera...?

Paul,



Thanks much. The frame blend worked like a charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment