Thursday, April 1, 2010

importing powerpoint slides

Working on a video in PE3 and I need to bring in some slides from Powerpoint 2007. Have saved the slides as tiff and brought them into Premiere, issue is, and I am sure that this is not new...but the quality of the text in the slides has dropped. This is for a company meeting so I need to have this looking good. The font in the original slides is Tahoma/24pt. I have tried changing that to a bold Ariel with no luck. Each slide is saving at about 1meg. I have also tried saving as bmp as well...just an FYI.



Any thoughts on this would be great.



Thanks!

Chris
importing powerpoint slides
Unfortunately, you're not likely to get clean text by exporting from PowerPoint, Chris, since, once it's exported from PowerPoint, it's no longer text. It's a low-resolution graphic.



Short of recreating the text in Premiere Elements, I'm not sure what solution there is for you. Sorry.
importing powerpoint slides
I have done this before with some success, but I can't recall the details right now. I know some graphic types looked better than others, so try doing the SAVE AS from Powerpoint using GIF or JPG and see if that is any improvement. It's not as clean as creating them in PE, but it was usable.



Bob

Thanks Steve and Bob. I have had some success now by importing into Photoshop and bumping up the res, then saving as psd and dropping that onto Elements. My other thought would be that maybe Premiere Pro would give me better results, although I'm doubtful of that given how the document converts and it basically just being the nature of the beast.



Now I only have one other hoop to jump through - an outside vendor created a short 4 minutes video clip for us that I need to drop in at the end, but they sent it to us an exe file. I will be looking into that little issue shortly. Thanks!



Chris

It's not likely Pro will give you better results, Chris. The quality issue is the nature of working from text that's been converted to a graphic and then converted to video.



As for the exe file, that's not a video format at all. It's an executable file, quite possibly a self-extracting zipped (compressed) file.



Double-click on it in Windows Explorer and see if it launches an extractor. If so, your video file is probably inside it.

I don't have PowerPoint, but I have Sun's OpenOffice.Org 2.0 and can export Powerpoint slides in .EPS format, which Premiere Elements can import. Those look sharper than .TIF. The text is definitely not the same. You may want to try .EPS if PowerPoint supports it.

I don't see that PowerPoint has that option, unfortunately.



But PNG may give you fairly clean results.

Chris, png definitely gives better results for the imported slides. Also, please check that if you are rendering your timeline after importing the slideshow pngs or not. Without rendering the results would not be accurate. So make sure that you render the timeline and then export your video to check the actual output quality.

Thanks for the tips, moving forward I will be using these and others to improve my final output. This quarters video is done and I am moderately happy with the results. Looking at my predecessors work (and not knowing what software he used at all), I can see that he did a nice job of creating animated slides throughout the video. My goal is to get to that quality. To that end, I have been given the green light to seek out any training course that will help get me there (love free training!).

If you're looking for training, there's no finer place than http://muvipix.com, Chris.



The products page offers lots of complimentary tutorials and tips as well as lots of custom designed DVD templates, music, video background loops and stock footage. And, for an annual membership, you can have unlimited access to even more, as well as unlimited downloads of the products.



And, while you're there, be sure to check out the world's friendliest, most knowledgeable forum at http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/

Thanks Steve...I'm located in San Jose, I may also be interested in classroom training if available locally (shouldn't be too hard to find...the Adobe building is only about 3 exits down!).

Well, Adobe did fly me out there once to star in this promo for the software.

http://www.adobe.com/products/psprelements/vector/testimonials/pre_steve_testimo nial.html



Maybe they can fly me back out to teach it!

Chris,



Please let me know if you do find any classroom training for Premiere Elements in the South Bay or on the Peninsula. The training that I found was Premiere Pro rather than Premiere Elements.



In the meantime, I also do recommend the muvipix.com site. I have experience with Photoshop Elements but very limited experience with Premiere Elements. The tutorials and knowledgeable people at muvipix have helped me through many dilemmas.



Steve,



%26gt;Maybe they can fly me back out to teach it!



YES, YES, YES

No comments:

Post a Comment