Tuesday, December 6, 2011

timing for each picture - can it be...

I have set a preference for each picture to show for 7 seconds.

I set the preference before I imported all my still pictures to the timeline. My question is - once the preferences have been set, is there any way that I can then change the timeing for different pictures.

I want some to appear longer than others. I know how to make the time shorter but not longer using the time stretch tool.
timing for each picture - can it be...
Don't use the timestretch tool. Then you can just grab the end of a clip and extend it to the right. The pictures that follow will move down to make room if you lengthen it.



It's best if you do this before you start adding clips to other tracks because the other items will get bumped down as well, which may be what you want or not.



If you wanted to use the timestretch tool to lengthen a picture, when pictures follow it, you have to move the pictures that follow it down the timeline first in order to make room.
timing for each picture - can it be...
Thanks for your answer. I will try that out on Monday morning. I also have another question - I have noticed that the length of time for each clip as set in the preferences also includes the transition time. In other words if my clip time is 7 seconds and I set my transition time to 3 seconds then my clip time becomes only 4 seconds.

I am wondering if the transition time can be changed to be independant from the clip time such as with the program Proshow Producer that I am sometimes able to use.

Nope. That's not true in Premiere Elements, Elizabeth. (It is true in Sony Vegas though.)



In Premiere Elements, if you've got two 5-second still photos next to each other and you add a transition between them, each still gets longer to accommodate the transition time.

Steve, if you have two 5-second stills photos next to each other for a total duration of 10 seconds, and then drag a transition between them, the overall length is still 10 seconds. But if you use the ''Create Slideshow'' feature, then Premiere Elements trims one-half the duration of the transition from the tail and one-half from the head of the photos to make the overall length shorter.

That's right, Robert. But between each of those five-second clips, the number 1 still is adding 1/2 a second beyond that 5 seconds and the number 2 clip is adding 1/2 a second at the its head so that there can be a 1 second transition, right?



Okay, no, wait. Now I'm thinking that means each still loses then 1/2 a second too, because that would be part of the transition.



I'm too tired to do this math now. I'll need to play with it more. I guess you do lose some time because of the transition.



But, in Sony Vegas, in order to create a 1-second transition between two 5-second clips, you overlap them so that the total time of both clips and the transition is 9 seconds. THAT drove me crazy!

please forgive me, I want to understand this, if I want the clips in my slideshow to be 7 seconds each but I want the transitions all to be 3 seconds each then do I have to set the preference of the clips at 10 seconds?? I guess it would be so much easier if the transitions and the clip time could be set independant of each other rather than the transition taking up part of the time that is set for the clip.

If you are talking about manually adding centered transitions to stills already on the timeline, then you have it right. Except the first and last one would be 8.5 seconds and the ones inbetween would be 7 seconds.



If you use ''Create Slideshow'', then you have a different situation. The ''Create Sldieshow'' feature trims the clips. You would need 13 seconds for each still. That would give you 7 seconds for the stills inbetween the first and last one. The first one would be 8.5 seconds and the last one would be 11.5 seconds, which is due to the way the transitions are aligned ''end at cut'' instead of centered.



Calculations for Create Slideshow using desired 7 seconds for still and 3 for transition:



Inbetweens: 13 - 3 (trimming) = 10 - 3 (for transition) = 7.

First one: 13 - 1.5 (trimming) - 3 (for transition) = 8.5.

Last one is 13 - 1.5 (trimming) = 11.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment