Tuesday, December 6, 2011

PRE 4 projects cannot be loaded into...

Hi

I have upgraded from PRE4 to PRE7. Presently have both versions on my computer. I cannot load the PRE4 projects into PRE7 (though new PRE7 projects are fine). I get the message ''The project could not be loaded, it may be damaged or contain outdated elements''. Though they still load into PRE4.



I have tried all the suggestions in ''Troubleshoot damaged projects'' so assume that it is an incompatible element (some projects have migrated from PRE3 to PRE4, though all saved from PSE4.



Does anyone have any suggestions, to load them.

OR

Can any recommend a way of sorting through the PRE4 projects to find the incompatible elements. The projects are simple slideshows from PSE with JPG, audio (mp3) and PRE4 menu system, that have been burnt to CD.

many thanks - Al
PRE 4 projects cannot be loaded into...
It could be a damaged project. If there are incompatable elements, pre will say so and substitute some kind of placeholder.
PRE 4 projects cannot be loaded into...
I also would be careful about opening older version project with newer versions of the program.



Technically, it's supposed to be possible -- but each generation of this program is enough of a major rebuild of the one before than any time I've done it I've run into all kinds of bugginess.



I highly recommend you don't do it and that you finish your project in its current version before beginning a new project in the new.

I just installed Premiere 7 and was trying to figure out how to transfer my projects from Premiere 4 to Premiere 7. I couldn't figure out how to do it, so I checked this forum. Now, it sounds like it is not even a good idea to attempt this? That is a disappointment. I was hoping to uninstall version 4, but it looks like I will need to keep it on my computer if I want to access those older projects in the future. Is this correct?



Steve, I did purchase the muvipix.com Guide to Premiere Elements 7. I am looking forward to it helping me out as I had so much trouble with version 4. I am starting to get some intuition with these programs, which I lacked when I first installed version 4.

Thanks for supporting the book, Mary! I hope you'll find it very helpful.



I'm afraid it won't give you much help, in terms of opening version 4 products with version 7 since, for the most part, I don't recommend doing it. As I said, it can cause some very unpredictable behavior.



On the other hand, if your version 4 products are pretty well edited, you can use File/Export/Movie to export them as AVIs, and then you can import those AVIs into a new version 7 project. You won't be able to do any more editing to those output files without going back to version 4 but at least you'll be able to do your final mix-down in version 7!

Thanks Steve. I am only after transferring completed projects from 4 to 7. I would have no need to edit them. Am I correct from your comments, that I can do this and won't risk ''unpredictable behavior?'' If you remember from my earlier posts with Premiere 4, I am VERY new to video editing with lots to learn. I am starting at the very beginning. I would not want to do anything that will cause further trouble. However, if I can import these project and leave them as is, and not have problems, I would like to do that. They are completed vacation slide shows that I would like to preserve. Thanks.



I am looking forward to starting your book. I just loaded the Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 7 on my computer yesterday. Now I can get going and hopefully learn lots.

Yes, using File/Export/Movie from your version 4 project will export the video that is on your timeline so that you can import it into a version 7 project.

many thanks for the assistance - Al

No comments:

Post a Comment