Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I am a beginner in PrE7 and have...

I am a beginner in PrE7 and have installed the Flip editor (which cannot trim except from the beginning end end, no middle, and cannot split), presumably it installed the codec. My Flip .avi's do not work in PrE7, both video and audio are mangled. How do I ''recompress'' as described by Bruce?

One can also get .wmv files out of Flip - will these read in PrE7? What if I use a format conversion program like Movavi or Smartsoft? Could I convert to a format compatible with PrE7 ?

Edwin MI am a beginner in PrE7 and have...
The best solution for working with these MP4s is to buy Quicktime Pro ($30 from Apple). Pro will not only do lots of basic editing but will even convert these MP4s to DV-AVIs, if you want to edit them in Premiere Elements.I am a beginner in PrE7 and have...
Thanks Steve, I am new to QTPro also: Starting with Flip .avi's I see how you can Save As .mov, and find those .mov's a little jerky in PrE7, but a big improvement. Now how does one convert, as you mention, to DV-AVI's in QTPro?
The output option you want is DV rather than MOV, Edwin.
Where is this output option? Whatever I open in QT comes out as MOV. I see no option in File, Edit, etc. and only an Audio option in Preferences?? I thought you mentioned converting MOV to AVI-DV ?
I'm not an expert on Quicktime Pro, but I believe the output is similar to Final Cut.

Choose AVI as your output and then click the options button. This will show you the codec that's being applied. (Probably Cinepak by default.) Click the settings button and select DV.
Which of the following video codecs is the most compatible and most versatile: Cinepak, Intel 4:2:0 Video 250, Intel Indeo R3.2, Intel IYUV, Microsoft RLE, Microsoft Video1, Microsoft H263, Microsoft H261, Indeo Video510, 3ivx MPEG4 5.0.3, XviD MPEG4, Panasonic DV, a bewildering variety?
Well, Panasonic DV sounds like the best choice. Give it a try.

But the Apple DV codec would be the ideal one.
Edwin,

In QT Pro, you want to Export, not Save_As.

Now, I do not recall if QT Pro offers MS DV-AVI Type II (or if it's limited to Type I), but that would be the choice.

Even if it's only Type I, these can easily be batch converted to Type II, with a program like DigitalMedia Converter (Deskshare).

I'll go poke around and tell you exactly what the options are.

Later,

Hunt
Hi Steve, Still trying to hack my way out of the QTPro thicket, which I am learning for the first time. I went back to your 12/31/2007 memo recommending running the 3ivx_d4_451_win.exe from the Flip camera. This sounds very attractive, but: In the systems\ folder there is no such file, but in resources\ there is a 3ivxVideoCodec.pkg but no .exe Is this recommendation out of date, or am I doing something wrong?
Edwin, the FAQ was written, based on the article written by Jake Ludington, linked to at the bottom of the article. I was just reporting. I don't own a Flip cam myself.

But have a look at Jake's original article and see if it makes more sense than my FAQ.
http://www.jakeludington.com/movie_maker/20070925_edit_flip_camcorder_videos_in_ windows_movie_maker.html
  • What type of quilt do you like
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment